In 2017, Oregon Coalition for Affordable Prescriptions (OCAP) was founded with a single goal in mind: lowering prescription drug prices for Oregonians. A diverse coalition of over 20 allies came together, including everyday people affected by high drug prices, health care providers and plans, labor groups, and community organizations. Together, we’ve been able to make a big impact in holding the pharmaceutical industry accountable for their outrageous price gouging. Here’s a look at our work so far:
- 2018: HB 4005, the Prescription Drug Pricing Transparency Act, was passed with a bipartisan supermajority. Since then, manufacturers have to report increases of 10% or more through Oregon’s Prescription Drug Pricing Transparency Program. What we’ve learned from the data collected confirmed what we already knew: the pharmaceutical industry is making life-saving medications unaffordable for Oregonians.
- 2019: OCAP announced a robust legislative agenda for 2019 that focused on bills that were designed to make an immediate impact for Oregonians unable to afford their prescriptions. Our number one priority was passing HB 2658, 60-Day Advance Notice of Price Increases. We knew that similar legislation passed in other states was effective in curbing price increases, and at the very least would give Oregonians time to find alternatives. The bill passed with overwhelming support.
- 2020: During the short legislative session, OCAP worked to make drug importation from Canada a reality in order to provide Oregonians with desperately needed relief from high drug prices. However, the 2020 session was cut short after lawmakers walked out of the building and halted most legislation.
Our coalition is hard at work preparing for the 2021 legislative session. One that will be unlike anything we have ever seen. Our state is coping with the COVID-19 pandemic, facing budget constraints due to losses in revenue from the economic crisis, and we are rebuilding after wildfires devastated communities.
2020 has seen its fair share of crises. Now more than ever, our work to make prescription drugs more affordable for all is critical for Oregonians and families across our state. That is why we have put together a robust package of legislative priorities to make prescription drugs more affordable.
Because in a pandemic and economic crisis, Oregonians can’t wait.
- Send a letter to your representative.
- Share your story.
- Report an increase in your Rx prices.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter to stay involved!
We’re looking forward to fighting back against Big Pharma with you in 2021.